Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blacks started the Lowriding craze?

Hello, I have lived in Los Angeles all my life and was always curious as to who started the Lowrider craze. I see both Blacks and Hispanics driving them and for some reason I thought Hispanics started it. Well, even though I think the consenses is that Hispanics started the trend it was actually a Black club/organization in the Watts area of Los Angeles that has credit for starting the Lowriding craze that we know today. Whites and Hispanics in the 40's and 50's used to throw sacks of dirt or blocks in the trunk in order to lower they're cars but that was just look they were trying to maintain. Whites actually were doing it for a "Rodder" look and Hispanics copied the trend. A family named Ruelas, I believe from L.A. also started to do body work and paint work and perfected the look. The Lowriding we see today started in the 60's in the midst of some turbulant times in Los Angeles. Blacks, working in the aircraft industry, used to take the landing gear hydraulics and adapt them to the suspension of they're cars. Adding the small wheels and tires giving it the familiar Lowrider look we know today. Hispanics have long taken credit for Lowriding presumably because of the way they simply lowered they're cars previous to the 60's. Interestingly, Blacks have never really tried to stake claim to starting the trend. In talking to one car club member in Los Angeles, I was told that it is like many things that started in Black culture. Whether it be the Soul/RB music, the style of dress or speach that many cultures emulate, it's one of those things that you have to expect some cultures to take and try to make they're own. I actually learned a lot from an article that Car Craft Magazine wrote in a magazine I found dated Sep/1970, explaining exactly how it all got started. I was fortunate to ride with one of the oldest car clubs around. The Majestics, a club started by Blacks in Compton California, is now world wide with some of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen and again, I LIVE in Los Angeles. I know that beliefs die hard, but those of you that were as curious as I, chapter closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment